Friday, March 26, 2010

Week 7, Days 4 & 5 - Acts of God



Week 7, Day 4 Outfit: BR beige wool sheath dress and jacket, Nine West knee-high boots
Week 7, Day 5 Outfit: Forever 21 sweater dress, BR black tights, BR snakeskin wedges

So, I never did have a chance to indulge in my much anticipated 4 course meal for $50. The roads outside my chalet were so covered in snow, and flurries were blowing so multi-directionally, that I could barely see in front of me. I spent about 20 minutes driving in circles, going the wrong way on one-way streets around the resort, and trying to stay what seemed like road in order to find the restaurant at which I made a reservation. At one point, I just said "screw it" and headed back to the parking lot of the condo to get my bearings straight. I pulled out the map again and identified my second choice for a restaurant and found that there were enough landmarks around it in order for me to not miss it in the blizzard. I guess I could have also taken a shuttle, but there was no parking around the shuttle stops and the signs for the pick-up locations were buried underneath at least 2 inches of snow. I ended up at the Inn @ Keystone - a very nice little boutique-y lodge with a Seafood restaurant that boasts using local ingredients. Hmmm...when you're in the mountains, 1.5 hours from Denver, I highly doubt that seafood is all that local. Regardless, given that I still had a couple of fish-eating days in my week, I went with the Mahi Mahi...which was just okay. My room (as you can see from the Day 4 picture above), was nice and cozy - very ski resortish. It was clearly built a while back, as evidenced by the fact that it had a bidet and a jacuzzi tub. There was a gas fireplace in the living room which was so inviting, that I decided to sleep on the couch (a much easier feat for someone 5'1") than in the bedroom. The jacuzzi tub had a shower head installed on the ceiling (which makes for a nice 10 minute "hunt for the switch to turn on the shower" activity). The walls surrounding the tub were mirrored, with the last wall being a clear window that overlooked the sunken living area - which had 3 huge windows overlooking the majestic mountains outside. Very nice set-up, except for the fact that if you can see out, anyone outside can see in! Luckily, when you're showering at 5:45 AM at a ski resort, you can rest assured that no one will be out and about peering into windows - especially after a blizzard! During the training session that I facilitated, I mentioned to the client that I found it odd that I had a bidet in my room. She came back with "thanks a lot, that's my timeshare, you know." OOOPS! She seemed pretty unoffended by it though and did mention that she plans on getting rid of it - eventually. Good thing I didn't say something like "I feel like I'm in the Poconos mountains in the 70's given the cheesy jacuzzi tub and all" (you all know what I'm talking about, right? I'm sure you've seen the magazine ads for the Poconos resort that still boasts about having the only champagne glass shaped jacuzzi tub).
Travel back home from Denver was as uneventful as it could be...especially in light of the fact that many of the travelers at the Denver airport were carryovers from the day prior. Because Denver got 12 inches of snow on Tuesday night, everything was shut down that evening and Wednesday morning, which means that you are dealing with a lot of pissed off people desperately trying to catch the next flight out back to their original destination. They get even more pissed off by the fact that they get no remuneration for their travel woes because snowstorms fall into the "Acts of God" category...therefore, the airline is not responsible for putting you up in a hotel or feeding you. It's times like these that you can either see the best or worst in people. There are people who react to every little travel mishap (I must sadly admit that I likely fall in this category)...you know, the ones who snort or violently shake their head when the ticket counter person announces that the flight will be delayed (even if just for 5 minutes). Then, there are the positive people who head straight to the bar and get hammered...so regardless of what bad news they receive about their flight, they just order another shot. Now, these "happy" people, mind you, are also the ones that wreak of booze when they get on the plane, pass out, and snore loudly during red-eye flights thereby allowing no one peaceful rest except for themselves. Hmmm, not sure which type of traveler I'd rather be!




Last night was my last "fish" day before this upcoming week of being vegetarian...so I went out for sushi with Jen and Maggie. Given that there are few days left in winter, I decided to fish (no pun intended) for a sweater that I could churn through without starting to exhaust my spring/summer wear. Good thing I did, because after dinner, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees, there was snow and ice on the outside of my car, and my flimsy raincoat did nothing in terms of keeping me warm. Yay, sweater!




My week-long challenge to not eat chocolate has been kept up - even to the extent that I was removing chocolate chips from the rice krispie treat that was packed in my lunch during my client meeting on Wednesday. I had the hugest craving for something sweet when I got home from dinner last night and knowing that chocolate was off limits, I got very jazzed about a fruit pizza I had leftover from my Sunday get together with the DUB club members. Imagine my reaction when I opened the fridge and discovered that the craved fruit pizza was MIA. Can we say - grrrrrrrrrrrrr? Such an event might have made me turn to chocolate - but because I knew I'd have to blog about it, I instead took a bath to help me forget. Since when is a bath as good as chocolate? NEVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment