Friday, March 12, 2010

Week 5, Day 6 - Trip to Chi-Town!




Week 5, Day 6 Outfit: Ann Taylor Loft white blouse, The North Face black zip-up, Silver Jeans, Coach Rainboots


Today is Mikey's 41st Birthday, so our trip to Chicago has finally arrived! I started the day at a 6A cycle class and ran into Maggie who was signed up for the yoga class at that time...so I asked her join me and Mike for breakfast. His choice was of course the seedy bar near our house that at 7:15A was already packed with 3rd shift workers drinking Miller Light (which, in case you don't know, is a union endorsed beer) with their scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and toast - niiiiice...well, not that I can blame them - last night's shift was kind of like my Friday's at 5pm - except for today which I decided to use as a vacation day in order to get an earlier start to the Windy City.


Mike and I left in time to catch lunch at a Vegan Soul Food restaurant recommended to us by Elaine (a fellow spinner and Vegan mentor to me). I must say, it was the most amazing and surprising vegetarian meal I've ever had. Mike had some kind of bbq rib look alike that turned heads as it was being brought to our table. I had the jerkfu wrap (tofu with jerk seasoning wrapped in a spinach tortilla). Though we were full, we succumbed to one of the vegan cake offerings (we decided on orange) which continued to reinforce the restaurant's reputation. I could definitely become vegan if restaurants like this existed in Toledo!


After lunch, Mike and I ventured to the University of Chicago area and went on a tour of the Robie House (a Frank Lloyd Wright original). Sigh...to live in a place like that (but can you say, money pit??? The cost to refurbish such a piece of art would be astronomical!). As I'm sure many of you are tiring of seeing me pose in front of the entrance into our house, I decided to change things up a bit today and take a picture outdoors in front of this beautiful home. After our tour, we made our way to the hotel to check in, and can I just say - I could not have picked a worse place for us to stay (unless Banana Republic rents out fitting rooms as overnight stays) as I am in my second month into this challenge. I am right across the street from the Water Tower. Those of you who don't know the magnificent mile, the Water Tower is a shopping mecca - complete with a huge Macy's, and several stores within the comforts of an indoor 4 or 5-story mall that is situated just south of other major stores on Michigan Avenue - such as the 4 story Banana Republic (which I had last hit up in early February promising myself that I would just buy "must haves" and walked out with over $100 in purchases of "want to haves"). Oh, willpower, don't fail me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment